Participant Code of Conduct
In part the District’s mission is to provide high quality, safe and wholesome programs, parks, facilities, and related services for all residents and guests. To this end, the District has developed, implemented, and enforced a code of conduct for all residents and guests participating in recreational opportunities on District property.
This code of conduct is the minimum expected behavior of every participant to ensure the safety and positive experience of all involved. The District uses a three pillar positive behavior program as the platform to define the expected behavior of all participants. This platform is aligned and consistent with the program used within the local elementary schools to create consistency among children and parents whether at school or play at the park district.
At Palatine Park District we abide and model the positive behavior system with regard to how we operate the District and interact with our participants. These expectations and guidelines are the common thread and endorsed culture of how we conduct business and expect of all participants, staff, volunteers and general public as a means to provide a healthy and safe environment to enjoy all the opportunities offered by the District. The following section illustrates the core elements and expectations of the Positive Behavior Program and the general guidelines of the District’s code of conduct policy:
- Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule
- Treat others as you would like to be treated
- Be tolerant of differences
- Use good manners, not bad language or gestures
- Be considerate of the feelings of others
- Don’t threaten, hit or hurt anyone
- Deal peacefully with anger, insults and disagreements
- Be gracious in victory
- Accept defeat with dignity
- Honor privacy
- Speak and participate when it is your turn
- Respect authority
- Do what you are supposed to do
- Persevere - keep on trying!
- Always do your best
- Use self-control
- Act with self discipline
- Think before you act- consider the consequences
- Be accountable for your choices
- Fess up if you mess up
- Clean up after yourself
- Put back what you use afterwards
- Recycle for the environment
- Help people in need
- Play by the rules
- Report unsafe conditions, conflicts and incidents
- Use facilities, equipment and supplies appropriately
- Wait for instructions and safety rules first
- Follow rules and instructions
- Clean up areas after use
- Keep hands and feet to yourself
- Always use seat belts and safety equipment
This Code of Conduct represents the overall District expectations and is aligned with other Code of Conduct and/or behavioral systems within specific programs, services or affiliate programs. Participants and parents are required to make themselves informed and aware of this policy as well as any other specific code and behavior expectations. Information will be provided during the registration process or within the class/program through the staff member leading the program.
The Code of Conduct is focused on the programs, services, and events offered by the District. Violations of the code of conduct will be subject to the provisions of the District’s Participant Disciplinary Policy. A separate Park District Ordinance Code is developed to govern and enforce the acceptable use and behavior while visiting and using the District’s parks and facilities.
Approved: 10 October 2017