On Saturday, February 3, Palatine Park District recognized 17 volunteers for their service to affiliate groups and associated organizations with the District. Volunteers were chosen by each organization for their service during the 2017 calendar year and were recognized during a luncheon held at Cotillion Banquets, 360 S. Creekside Drive, in Palatine.
“Volunteers are special people who do things because they believe in missions,” said guest speaker Jerry O’Brien, a retired Township High School District 211 educator. “They are zealous missionaries that make personal sacrifices not because of what they will get, but because of what they will be able to give to others.” O’Brien spoke on his experience in the community and the importance of volunteering and “community building.”
The 17 individuals named 2017 Volunteer of the Year include
- Jesper Michelsen, Palatine Rugby Club
- Linni Pesch, Palatine Historical Society
- Joyce Booker, Palatine Gymnastics Club
- Emil Borre, Palatine Tiger Sharks Swim Team
- Donna Epton, Partners for Our Communities
- Joe McBride, Penguins Lacrosse
- Susan Stoga, Palatine Stables
- Tanya Tyska, Palatine Amateur Football Association
- Dave Barnett, Palatine Youth Baseball/Softball
- Tammy Hulsebosch, Rolling Meadows Renegades Hockey
- Dan Stockwell, Palatine Hills Golf Association
- Karla Monroe, Palatine Celtic Soccer Club
- Gail Artrip, Bike Palatine Club
- Pete Napientek, Palatine Baseball Association
- Mel Quinn, Palatine Township Senior Citizens Council
- Rick Hollander, TesserAct Theatre Ensemble
- Tim Thompson, Palatine Baseball Association
In addition to these volunteers, Gary Gray was inducted into the Volunteer Honor Roll for his 23 years of service and significant contributions to Palatine Baseball Association. To be considered for the Honor Roll, a volunteer must have held a leadership position in an organization (or organizations) for a significant number of years. Honor Roll members must also have demonstrated an outstanding contribution to their organization. Annually, the Honor Roll committee reviews all past and current volunteers of the year and provides recommendations to the Palatine Park District Board of Commissioners for consideration.
The Volunteer Honor Roll committee includes Donelda Danz, Alissa DePue, Linda Fleming, Dennis Hanson, Jim Lennon, Carolyn Mangold, Gus Panos, Don Torgersen, and Keith Williams.
“We’re very fortunate to have a dedicated group of volunteers enhancing our programs in such diverse roles,” said Alissa DePue, Palatine Park District Volunteer Coordinator. “We celebrated them today by highlighting their service, which is purposeful, appreciated, and makes a positive impact on our Palatine community.”Back to Home